Know better on Sand Flea Bites on Humans Symptoms and Treatment so you will have proper healed in next time when meets with these bites again. There are many people experience sand flea bite often when they go to beach trip. How to treat sand flea bite and know the symptom occurs? This guide below can help you to treat sand flea bite and prevent to get bite when you take holiday in the beach.
Sand Flea Bites on Humans Symptoms and Treatment
Sand flea is particularly included as a crustacean. These creatures are common to see in the part of water bodies such as ocean or marshland. This is small animals but they have long hind legs that make them easily to jumping. This is including as crustaceans but sometimes mistakes as insects.
Where and when it bites? Despite the fact that sand fleas are sizing in very small when they bite they are painful and can lead into severe skin problems. As the creatures are available in areas closest to ground, these fleas usually bites near feet, ankles and legs. Unless you are lying in-ground or sand, they are unable to jump to reach your upper body and bite. This creature is most active in night and evening at dawn.
Type of sand flea bite
When the sand flea bites you, it can leave you with two types of bite and much pain. The one is look like as mosquito bite where it means flea sucking your blood and leave another host. The saliva that sand flea inject to you is prevent blood clotting and when they suck your blood, it can cause skin irritation and can lead into allergic reactions.
The other types of sand flea bites are known as worse type. This is when breeding female sand flea bite you and hide under your skin and stay beneath under the eggs hatched. The infected areas will swell and black spots will appear around the swollen areas. When you notice this skin condition, this can be signs of sand flea breeding underneath your skin. Read Also: How to Get Rid of Fleas on Dogs
The symptom of Sand flea bites
Both of two types of sand flea bites are causing symptom such as:
- Allergic reactions
- Inflammatory skin diseases
When the sand flea bites are also accompanied by allergic reactions, this will lead into more severe symptoms. There are some people that more sensitive to the bites and this can lead to signs such as difficulty to breath, dizziness, swelling of the tongue, nausea, and chest pain. When the case is breeding females sand flea bites underneath your skin, this can get worsen with fever and infections that also accompanies with swollen glands pain and redness resulted in infected areas. The worse condition also can lead to a serious health condition called with tungiasis, the inflammatory skin diseases that should be treated as secondary infections.
How long sand flea bite will last?
When you get bite by the sand flea, how long it will rash or itchy? Well, after you bite, the immediate reaction that will occur is the red welts. This redness usually will last for a few hours and starting fade. Within the whole day, you may notice there is papule that replaces the wheal. The infected area will be red and swollen and feel itchy. If you have allergic reaction, this area may become with blister.
The papule then will be last for the next 2-3 days and then start disappears in third day. There also might be a possibility for lesion mark which will end up pale red mark that can last for a week.
Treatment for Sand flea bites
When you have sand flea bites, here are some of the things that you can do to treat it.
- Try to not scratch the bites. When you scratch the bites, this can lead to further infection and develop the wounds.
- Check the bites to confirm whether it is the case of breeding sand fleas underneath your skin or not. The breeding sand flea can stay for weeks until the eggs hatch underneath your skin. When this time goes, they will suck your blood.
- Apply anti-itchy cream or lotions around the affected areas to control the itchy feeling. The calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream is good product to use for ease of itching. Scrub gently to the area.
- Visit doctor if the cream applied not work well.
- You can apply pain medication if the pain and swelling is too worst.
- Apply the mixture of baking soda and water into the bites.
- Aloe vera can cool your affected area.
- Use essential oils such as lavender oil to soothe and calm down the pain and areas.
How to prevent sand flea bites come again
It is great to prevent flea bites rather than treat it. If you want to avoid getting bite with sand flea, then these tips below can help you to avoid bite by sand flea.
- Avoid to visit beach when goes raining. Sand fleas are seems becomes more aggressive when the weather cool and moist. If able, stay away from beach in the morning and evening when raining. Go to beach when the beach warm and dry outside.
- Go with insect repellant when you decide to go to the beach when the cool outside. Always reapply the repellent as often as possible. When the sun comes down then reapply the repellent will be better.
- Cover up the ground when you sitting or lying to avoid getting a bite in back, legs, and feet.
- Wear longer shorts. Longer shorts will cover better from bites.
- Bring a towel or blanket to cover and protect from bites.
- Fleas like to eat seaweed. If you see there are many seaweeds or sea plants in the shore, then it is better to leave the area as this can be signs that there are many fleas around then areas.
When you have sand flea bite, do not panic. You need to treat it well and determine the types of the bite. If it difficult, then you can consult with a doctor to know the type of bite you have. Proper treatment will help you to treat the bite soon and heal it.